About Patrick Cotter
Patrick is an accomplished attorney who has extensive trial experience in both criminal and civil cases. Patrick has completed well over 100 jury and court trials in both criminal and civil matters with over 50 jury trials to verdict. Patrick has gained valuable experience as both a prosecutor and a criminal defense attorney where he has spent nearly every day in the courtroom. He has extensive experience assisting individuals charged with criminal offenses in both Federal and State court. Patrick now utilizes his courtroom experience to secure fair and just compensation for individuals who have suffered a personal injury or wrongful death of a loved one.
Patrick grew up one of ten children in Austin, Minnesota. Patrick walked-on to the University of Notre Dame football team coming out of high school. He later competed with distinction as a two-sport collegiate athlete in both Football and Track & Field at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. Patrick earned his Bachelor’s Degree Cum Laude from St. Thomas in 1997. He went on to receive his law degree from William Mitchell College of Law in 2002.
Patrick has been selected a Rising Star Attorney by Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He has been selected a Super Lawyer in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Patrick is honored to have been selected one of the Top 100 Minnesota attorneys across all practice areas in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Patrick is currently the President of the Dakota County Bar Association. He volunteers as a judge in Dakota County presiding over conciliation court cases, and he volunteers for Dakota County Legal Aid assisting individuals and children who are victims of domestic abuse. Patrick is proud that many of his clients are referred to him from other attorneys and judges.
- University of Saint Thomas, B.A. 1997
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D. 2002
- State of Minnesota, 2002
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2003
- State of Wisconsin, 2011
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota, 2014
- Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Voted Top 100 Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2016-2017
- Voted Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2014-2017
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Attorney, The National Trial Lawyers, 2013-Present
- The National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40,” The National Trial Lawyers, 2012
- Voted Rising Star Attorney, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2005-06; 2008-14
- Inclusion “Top Attorney’s North America,” Who’s Who Directories, Attorney Edition
- Voted Board of Directors – Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Appointed Board of Directors-University of St. Thomas Alumni Association
- Appointed Board of Directors – Dakota County Bar Association
- Conflicts Panel, Federal Public Defender
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Association for Justice
- Member, Dakota County Bar Association
- Member National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Pro Bono Legal/Community Service
- Volunteer Loaves and Fishes
- Volunteer Attorney Legal Assistance for Dakota County
- Conciliation Court Referee -Dakota County District Court
- University of St. Thomas Law School Mentorship Program Volunteer
- University of St. Thomas Football Mentorship Program
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services Attorney Volunteer
Scholarly Lectures and Writings
- “Sentencing” Minnesota State Bar Association Criminal Law Section Everything But Trial School” (January 2014), Speaker, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2014
- Writer of article, Challenger Magazine published by the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2013
- “I Need to Drive, Implied Consent Law” Minnesota CLE (May 2013), Speaker, Minnesota CLE, 2013
- It’s Game Time, Winning Opening Statements” Minnesota State Bar Association Trial School (March 2013), Speaker, Minnesota State Bar Association Trial School, 2013
- Winning Closing Arguments and Sentencing” Hennepin County Bar Association Criminal Law Section (March 2012), Speaker, Hennepin County Bar Association, 2012
Call for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Call my office at 651-455-1555 or my cell at 651-214-8624 to arrange your free and comprehensive consultation, or send me a request for more information.
If you are being investigated for a criminal offense, have been charged with a crime, or if you or a loved one has suffered personal injury please call me today for a comprehensive free consultation. I pride myself on providing you with an honest and aggressive evaluation of your situation. I know from experience how important it is to listen first, and then put together an aggressive yet practical approach to achieve excellent results for you. I will stand by you, always fighting for your best interests during every step of your case.